The Barefoot Boy

Gary Locklear disappeared from North Charleston, South Carolina on September 6, 1974, the day before his 16th birthday.  

On September 6, 1974, Gary Locklear went to visit a friend’s house.  He started his walk back home between 10:00PM and 11:00PM down Remount Road.  The last time he was seen was by the friend who he had visited that night.  That friend stated he saw Gary Locklear walk down Remount Road toward a fast food restaurant, stop and look down the street.  The friend then went back into his house.  And Gary Locklear has not been seen since.  


Leon and Elsie Locklear, Gary’s parents, denied their son was a runaway.  He left behind his wallet the night he went to visit his friend, as well as his other possessions and he was barefoot.  It was the day before his 16th birthday and he had a new motorcycle waiting on him at home.  And he had just joined the junior varsity football team at his school.  

Gary’s parents followed leads to other states in order to find him.  They even had people call and demand money in return for Gray’s whereabouts.  Those leads never went anywhere.  


In 1981, Charleston Deputy Chief of Police, Michael S. Whatley, speculated that Gary Locklear was somehow involved with Donald “Pee Wee” Gaskins.  Donald “Pee Wee” Gaskins was a twisted serial killer from Florence County, South Carolina.  He was a violent, depraved individual.  He was convicted of killing 9 people, but claimed to have killed 110. He was executed on September 6, 1991, twenty one years to the day Gary went missing.  Whether or not Pee Wee Gaskins had anything to do with Gary Locklear's disappearance has never been substantiated.  As far as I could find, the article from 1981 was the only time Gary Locklear and Pee Wee Gaskins were ever mentioned to have any sort of connection. 


 

There hasn’t been much else that I could find regarding this case, just like with Michael Woodward, but it is still important.  They are all important.  Gary Locklear has been missing for 45 years.  No evidence of why he disappeared has been found. His friend said he saw him pause and look down the street.  It makes you wonder what he saw that made him stop and if that’s the reason he vanished. 

M.

Comments

  1. I wonder if the friend (name is Dennis, by the way, I found out from doing extensive research myself) was ever questioned. If he saw his friend stop on the street, & (probably apprehensively) look down the street, why did he go in the house? Gary just doesn't fit Pee Wee's MO. Final Truth, as fabricated parts of it may be, was utterly...grotesque isn't even strong enough to describe this Gaskins autobiography. Gary was 1 of 7 kids. Missing posters & missing kids' reports range his height between 5'6-5'10 & weight between 116-180 lbs. That is quite drastic a difference. I became interested in Gary initially because I live in a bordering city of North Charleston, my maiden name is Locklear, I'm of the Lumbee tribe just like Gary's Locklear branch...and I taught high school Spanish in 2006. Found out a few years back that one of my former students graduated from the same college as I did, education degree, got a job teaching at the same private Christian school I taught her, married a kid last name Locklear, married 10/27 (my ex husband's birthday) & her husband's birthday: 4/5 (my birthday). While waiting on their home to be built they moved in with her mom for a few months legit 4 doors down from me in the same subdivision of a 25-mile plantation. Later as a manager of a storage facility I wound up renting a unit to her husband & his father (I later found out through conversations)..and lo and behold, the husband's father is Gary's brother. I know all that has nothing to do with the case but it is just SUPER. BIZARRE. BIZARRENESS. I don't believe in coincidence & I feel that if more people are aware of Gary we as a unit can get the truth.

    Oh yes, other reports vary of the time he walked down Remount as between 8pm-11pm. That's 3 hours. If my son can destroy my phone in a matter of 1.5 minutes...3 hours is a HUGE time gap.

    If you would like to see some info I found please email me & I'd love to share. I just don't want to publish them publicly. I'd also like to share with you a couple thoughts I have. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to talk to you about this! Email me at thecoldonestruecrime@gmail.com!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Boys

The Woman in the Suitcase

The Boy from Beech Island